- Meet the pilot who quit flying because of the climate crisison August 8, 2022
Not many pilots climbing steadily up the ranks retire their wings in the name of environmental activism. But Todd Smith did just that at great expense. He spoke with DW about this life transition.
- Iceland volcano gases threaten nearby villageon August 5, 2022
The eruption sent plumes of white smoke and glowing lava shooting out of a fissure near the Fagradalsfjall mountain. Despite a warning to stay away, spectators are flocking to the site.
- How do we fight fire as temperatures rise?on August 5, 2022
As wildfires again burn out of control in the US and southern Europe this summer, new strategies to prevent climate-fueled infernos include fighting fire with fire.
- Ukraine: UN head calls shelling at Europe’s largest nuclear plant ‘suicidal’on August 3, 2022
Since Russian forces occupied a Ukraine nuclear power plant in March, the situation has deteriorated and the site has reportedly been shelled, raising concerns of a catastrophe.
- Germany-Senegal gas plan sparks outcry from environmentalistson August 1, 2022
Germany will try to reduce dependence on Russian gas by helping Senegal exploit local deposits. Activists say the plan threatens climate goals.
- Bees have a secret survival weapon that might surprise youon August 1, 2022
The humble honeybee can control temperature in astounding ways — from keeping the hive cool during heat waves to cooking their enemies alive.
- Earth Overshoot Day 2022: Humanity has already used its resources for the yearon July 28, 2022
We are just halfway through the year, and humanity has already used up all the resources the Earth can sustainably produce. From now on, we are borrowing from the future.
- Amazing Planet: Lithops, the world’s most camouflaged planton July 27, 2022
Did you know it’s entirely possible for a rock to come to life? No, we’re not talking about the newest season of Stranger Things, your latest nightmare or some Scandinavian tale. Introducing: lithops, or “living stones.”
- Climate change: When does planting trees make sense?on July 26, 2022
Trees can be powerful allies in the fight against global heating because they can trap CO2 and lock it away. But planting billions more of them won’t be enough to save the climate.
- Plant-based meats cut climate pollutants fastest todayon July 25, 2022
Investments to replace animal flesh with vegan meats are more powerful than other climate solutions in the short-term, a report from Boston Consulting Group found.
- Pakistan’s Prime Minister accuses India of violating human rights in Kashmir, India hits back
- Walmart and Tata in talks to join hands to develop Tata Group’s “Super App”